10 Hotel Fire Safety Tips
As the holidays quickly approach, the number of travelers will begin to increase. Many of these travelers will seek lodging in hotels. The U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) indicated that approximately 3,900 hotel and motel fires were reported to U.S. fire departments each year from 2014 to 2016. The USFA reported that these fires resulted in about 15 deaths, 100 injuries, and $100 million in property losses. Therefore, it is important for individuals and families staying in a hotel to place fire safety at the forefront and to be prepared in the instance a fire occurs. We recommend the following ten safety tips:
- When selecting your hotel, research the establishment to ensure it has smoke alarms and a fire sprinkler system. Do not make a reservation unless the hotel has both.
- Upon checking in, inquire about the fire alarm sound and find out where the fire alarms are located, especially on your floor.
- Once you check in and enter your room, carefully review the fire evacuation plan, which is typically posted on the door.
- Find the exits and ensure said exits are unlocked. Be aware of the two closest to your room.
- Count the number of doors between your room and the exits in case you must evacuate in the dark.
- If there is a fire and you must evacuate your room, take your room key with you. We suggest keeping it near the bed when you sleep.
- Exit your room as soon as the alarm sounds. Be sure to close all doors behind you as you exit.
- As you are exiting the hotel, use the stairs, not the elevator.
- If the room and hallways are filled with smoke and you are evacuating, remain low under the smoke.
- If you cannot escape your room, be sure to shut off all fans and air conditioners, stuff wet towels around the cracks in the doors, call the fire department to inform them of your location, and wait by a window to signal with a flashlight or light-colored cloth.
Source: U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
Copyright 2017 Restore Construction Co. Inc. | Mówimy Po Polsku | Se Habla Español | Powered by Spot On Solutions.